Thinking about adopting a bundle of puppy joy? Or recently adopted a puppy and feeling overwhelmed by the shopping choices? We’ve got you covered, here are some basic puppy care tips, plus a shopping list to get you started.
Puppy Care: The Basics
- Puppies have different nutritional needs than adult dogs, and should be fed puppy-specific food in three or more small meals a day.
- Use treats as incentives when training. Many can also clean teeth, and contribute to healthy digestion.
- Your new puppy’s bed should be soft, warm and in a quiet area. Young puppies often cry when alone and can be comforted by a hot water bottle as it reminds them of their mom.
- Take your puppy for regular walks to socialize him with the outdoor environment, and to burn off energy. Use a leash, and choose a collar or harness that will expand as your puppy grows. Ask your vet when you can safely introduce your dog to public spaces and other pets.
- Give your puppy a soft yet durable chew toy! This will help discourage him from chewing your things, and will help clean and massage his teeth and gums.Rawhide is not appropriate for puppies.
- Groom your puppy regularly by cutting his nails, brushing his coat and maybe even giving him a bath! Use a mild shampoo and a gentle brush as his skin is soft and sensitive.
- There are two house training methods, “paper training” or “crate training.” Make sure you choose the right one for you and your puppy.
- But remember that no matter what, accidents will happen. Choose a washable bed or one with a removable cover, and try enzyme based stain and odor removers.
- Buy a gentle flea and tick product only after your puppy is 8 weeks of age.
A puppy wish list
Along with appropriate food and fresh water, Puppies need these essentials:
- Food & Water Bowls – My own personal dishes.
- Puppy Training Pads + Stain & Odor cleaning products – Because accidents will happen.
- Crate & Crate Mat – It’s a great way to set me up for success!
- Brush – To keep my skin and coat healthy and looking great!
- Pet Gate – Keep me out of special areas.
- Puppy Dental Kit – Keeps my teeth white and my breath fresh.
- Fashion Essentials – Outfits will keep me looking cute, and stay comfortable.
- Collar, Harness & Pet Tag – Guaranteeing I look stylish.
- Bed – A place for me to rest when I’m all tuckered out after a day of fun.
- A Plush Toy – To cuddle with at night.
- Shampoo & Conditioner – So I keep clean and smelling great.
- Pet Waste Bags – Don’t forget to pick up after me.
- Flea & Tick Care – Keeping me pest free.
- Leash – We’ll be able to go on walks together and make new friends!
- A Chew Toy – So I can play rough while keeping my teeth and gums healthy.
- Treats – A must for training.
- Nail Clippers – To keep my nails tidy.
- Treat-Dispensing Interactive Toy – To play with, and enjoy a surprise treat!
- Anxiety Relief – For when I’m feeling anxious.