Welcoming a new kitten into your home and life? First of all congrats! Whether you’re a first time pet parent or looking for a few pointers, we’ve got you covered.
Kitten Care: The Basics
- Kittens have different nutritional needs than adult cats, and should be fed kitten-specific food.
- All kittens should be given a collar and a pet tag that lists his name and your phone number.
- This is especially important if your kitten will be spending time outdoors.
- Kittens like treats just as much as puppies do! Give your kitten a treat once in a while so that he knows you care.
- Don’t give your kitten catnip when he is very young. The reaction to catnip develops in kittens between the ages of 3-6 months, kittens tend to avoid catnip until then.
- Buy a scratching post for your little kitten. It will be a good alternative to your sofa for him to claw.
- Groom your kitten regularly by brushing his coat and trimming his nails. You can do this yourself or take your kitten to a groomer.
- Make sure his travel carrier doesn’t provide too much free space or he won’t feel secure and will not enjoy travelling.
- Buy a gentle flea and tick product only after your kitten is 6 weeks of age.
- Place a litter pan in a secluded area for privacy. The litter pan should be large enough for a fully grown cat. To minimize litter being kicked onto the floor, buy a hooded pan. Liners also help make litter changing faster and easier.
My Kitten’s Wishlist
- Along with appropriate food and fresh water, your kitten needs these essentials:
- Food & Water Bowls – My own personal dishes.
- Collar, Harness & Pet Tag – Guaranteeing I look trendy.
- Brush – To keep my skin and coat healthy and reduce hairballs.
- Treats – All pets need an extra treat once and a while.
- Travel – Carrier So I can travel in style.
- Bed – A place for me to rest when I’m all tuckered out after a day of fun.
- Scratching Post – So I can keep my nails healthy and your furniture nice.
- Toys – To entertain and stimulate my nautral instincts.
- Treat-Dispensing Interactive Toy – To play with, and enjoy a surprise treat!
- Flea & Tick Care – Keeping me pest free.
- Litter, Litter Pan Scoop & Litter Liners – Makes clean up easy.
- Hairball Remedies – To prevent me from making a mess.
- Stain & Odour Remover – Because accidents will happen.
- Cat Furniture – So I have my own place to play.
- Nail Clippers – To keep my nails tidy.